What is the most catastrophic mistake made by an intern at a tech company?
Former interns at at Facebook, Microsoft and AIG fess up about the disasters they caused on Quora, a wonderful question-and-answer web site.
1. I trolled Mark Zuckerberg’s wife while I was interning at Facebook.
2. In my first high school coding job, I burned down the entire office, displaced 100+ people, and destroyed lots of files, records, artwork, and a lot of the CEO’s memorabilia.
3. It was my second year in university and I worked for a local ISP as a junior system administrator. I typed “poweroff” on a wrong server and shut down the core router of our city-wide network, so that our whole banking infrastructure was down for 30+ min.
4. I sat at the MySQL console, and deleted 80,000 lines of code with a single keystroke.
5. An intern product manager at NetApp threatened to mutilate one of his company’s customers.
6. This intern’s confession is brief: “Plugging out the main server in order to plug in my phone charger.”
7. Because of a question, I got a CEO to retire.
8. My officemate was busted stealing Microsoft’s new user interface for Microsoft Exchange.